The HeartBridge Learning Center is a collection of hard-working individuals with over thirty-years of experience working with children. In the past eight years, we have experimented with different learning techniques and unique instructional methods to best teach the students of the 21st-Century. Our passion has driven us to find the best way to combine academic instruction with social-emotional learning, so that in our learning lab we can produce responsible and rational young adults. We have built our system on the following foundations:
- Developing growth mindsets: Academic performance is important, but our mission is to go beyond academics to reach each students’ core values which encompass who we are as unique individuals. Developing and changing the fixed mindsets that cripple the potential within each one of us is far more important than the recitation of facts and figures.
- Academic relevance: We believe all academic subjects simply and logically should promote SEL to the student’s outside world through practical application. We allow the learner to make the proper connections between the information and what they want to do in life.
- Teaching responsible moral choices: Our moral code is the foundation for who we are and what we will become. Most schools have abandoned the teaching of morality and ethics in favor of pure academics, and that is being reflected in our society’s problems and future direction. We encourage students to develop their own sense of right and wrong through challenging discussions, roundtable debates, community lectures, individual goal setting and working through a comprehensive curriculum.
- Teaching economic sustainability: We prepare our students for the shifting focus of 21st-century economics. We recognize that the industrial-driven economy has been replaced by a much more technology-driven system, and we want our students to be prepared for the job market. Being socially and emotionally developed will give our students the advantage they need to thrive in this new economy.
- Empowering and returning leaders to the community: We empower our students to learn on their own and accept responsibility for their role in society. We teach leadership and team building skills that will give them the confidence to make a difference in the lives of others, thus strengthening and improving their communities and ultimately our country.